What is pre-Settled Status and Settled status?

What are pre-settled status and settled status?

Recently, more and more frequently, we read in the newspapers information on Brexit and new rules that will come into force from March 2019 and that will concern all citizens of the European Union.

In fact, in order to be able to live in the UK after December 2020, every European citizen must have applied for temporary residence or permanent residence called as pre-settled status and settled status. More information can be found here.

When can you register your application?

You can apply from March 2019 and the deadline is 30 June 2021. However, you can also apply after June 2021 if you are joining your family in the United Kingdom.

How much does it cost to register for pre-settled and settled status?

  • £ 65 for those over 16 years of age;
  • £ 32.50 for children under 16 years of age.

Please note: from 30 March 2019 requesting the Settled Status no longer has any cost. If you paid previously, you can request a full refund.

What is meant by permanent residence and temporary residence?

Getting temporary or permanent residency means that you can live in the UK even after December 31, 2020.

What happens if I get permanent residence?

  • You can definitely stay in the UK;
  • You can apply for British citizenship;
  • You could stay out of the UK for 5 years without losing permanent residence.

Also, if you have children in the future, they will be considered British citizens.

What happens if I get temporary residence?

  • You can stay in the UK for another 5 years from the date of the application of temporary residence;
  • You can apply for permanent residency if you have lived in the UK for at least 5 years and at least 6 months of each year in the UK, known as continuous (free) residence;
  • You could stay outside the UK for 2 years without losing your temporary residence.

Furthermore, if you have children in the future, they will be able to apply for temporary residence.

What are my rights once my request is accepted?

Having temporary or permanent residence means that you can:

  • Register with the National Health Service (NHS);
  • Enroll in study courses or continue studying;
  • Access public funds such as benefits and pensions, provided that you are eligible;
  • Bring members of your family to the UK by 31 December 2020;
  • Travel in and out of the UK.

To check your stay you can access an online service. In fact, you will not get a physical document if you are a citizen of the European Community or if you have a biometric card confirming your residence.

Who can apply

Generally to apply for one of the two residences you must:

  • Be an EU citizen or have a family member of the EU;
  • Have lived in the UK for at least 5 years (continuous residence);
  • Started living in the UK before December 2020.

If you have lived less than 5 years in the UK you can apply for temporary residence (pre-Settled Status).

‘Continuous residence’

Residence is called continuous residence when you have lived in the UK for at least 6 months of each of the past 5 years.

So if you have lived at least 5 years in the UK you can apply for permanent residence, otherwise you can apply for temporary residence.

Please note: The current permanent residence will no longer be valid after 31 December 2020. You can still easily convert your current permanent residence into settled status by simply applying for it.

How to apply for residence

It will be possible to apply for residency starting on March 2019. The application form can be completed online and obtain support via telephone or in person.

What documents do you need

To fill in the form you need the following documents:

  • Confirm your identity (proof of identity);
  • Confirm the status of your UK residence;
  • Document confirming your relationship with a member of your family residing in the UK if you live outside the EU.

Proof of identity

You will need to provide a passport or identity document which you can scan through a mobile phone or send by post. plus you will also need to send a copy of a recent photo of your face.

Proof of continuous residence

If you paid taxes through work or benefits received, you can prove that you lived in the UK thanks to your paycheck.

You may also receive a request to provide the following documents:

  • P60s or P45s;
  • Paycheck;
  • Bank account balance;
  • Bills on your name;
  • Letter written by the job employer confirming your employment;
  • The stamp on your passport certifying your entry into the UK;
  • Air and train tickets confirming the journey to the United Kingdom.

If you have any questions or just want to give us some suggestions, write in the comments below.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *