Tag Archive for: transportation

Car insurance in the United Kingdom. What you need to know

Incidente macchina rossa e macchina gialla

In the UK, car insurance is mandatory by law and not having adequate coverage can result in fines and penalties. Choosing the right car insurance can be a challenge as there are many factors to consider, including the type of coverage, Bonus Claim, excess amount, and so on. In this article, we will explore everything you need to know about car insurance in the UK, including the types of coverage available, how to reduce costs, and much more.

Why do I need a car insurance?

Car insurance is important to protect you and other road users in the event of accidents. In the event of a collision, your insurance will cover the costs of repairing your vehicle, other cars involved, and any property damage or personal injury that may have been caused. Without adequate coverage, you may have to pay all of these expenses out of pocket, which could be a very high cost.

Types of car insurance cover available in the UK and which to choose

There are three types of car insurance coverage available in the UK:

  • Third party
  • Third party, fire and theft
  • Fully comprehensive

Third party

Third party insurance is the cheapest and is the minimum cover required by law. This type of cover only covers the damage you have caused to third parties, including damage to their car and any personal injury they may have suffered. It does not cover damage to your vehicle.

Third party, fire and theft

Fire and theft insurance also covers damage caused by fire and theft of the vehicle. This coverage is slightly more expensive than third-party coverage but provides greater protection.

Fully comprehensive

Fully comprehensive insurance offers the most complete coverage and is also the most expensive. This type of coverage covers damage caused to third parties, your vehicle, and any property damage or personal injury that may have been caused. This coverage is recommended if you have a high-value vehicle or if you want to have the maximum possible protection.


Richiedi Ora

Bonus Claim, what you need to know

The claim bonus is a reduction in your car insurance policy that is granted if you do not make any claims for a certain period of time. In general, the longer the number of years in which you do not make claims, the higher your bonus claim will be. The claim bonus can help you reduce the cost of car insurance, so it is important to make sure you do not make claims for compensation unless strictly necessary.

Excess, what is it?

The Excess is the amount you have to pay in the event of a claim before the insurance starts covering the costs. For example, if the excess is £250 and the vehicle repair costs are £1,000, you will have to pay the first £250, while the insurance will cover the remaining £750. It is important to choose an Excess that is affordable for you, so you can cover the required amount in the event of an accident. However, if you choose an excess that is too low, you may face higher insurance costs.

How to reduce insurance costs?

There are some things you can do to reduce car insurance costs in the UK. One of these is to choose less expensive coverage, such as third-party insurance, if your vehicle has a low value. Additionally, if you can afford it, you can pay the full amount of insurance in one go instead of splitting it into monthly payments, as there are usually additional costs associated with installment payments.

You can also reduce car insurance costs by keeping your vehicle safe. For example, you can install an anti-theft device on your vehicle or park it in a safe and secure area overnight. Additionally, if you can avoid using your vehicle for long periods, such as during vacations, you may be able to reduce your insurance costs by selecting coverage that only applies when the vehicle is in use.

Which comparison website to choose?

There are many insurance comparison websites available in the UK. One of the most popular is confused.com, which offers a wide range of insurance coverages at competitive prices. The site allows you to easily compare different coverage options and helps you find the right car insurance for your needs and budget.

What to tell our insurer?

When speaking with your insurer, it is important to be honest and transparent about the information you provide. For example, you should inform your insurance company if you have had accidents or committed traffic violations in the past. This way, your insurance company can provide you with adequate and personalized coverage.


Richiedi Ora

Motorcycle insurance

In the UK, motorcycles are a very popular means of transportation, especially in cities where traffic can be intense. Although motorcycles are generally considered less expensive than cars, motorcycle insurance is still a significant cost that must be taken into consideration.

As with car insurance, there are several coverage options available for motorcycle insurance in the UK. One of the most common options is third-party insurance, which only covers damage caused to other people or property, but not your vehicle. This is generally the least expensive coverage available for motorcycles.

Other types of motorcycle insurance coverage include third-party and theft insurance, which covers damage caused to other people or property and the theft of your vehicle. Third-party, theft, and fire insurance also covers damage caused by fire, but not collisions. Comprehensive insurance, on the other hand, covers damage caused to other people or property, the theft of your vehicle, and collisions.

It is important to choose the right coverage for your needs and budget so that you can ride your motorcycle with the utmost peace of mind. However, it is also important to be honest and transparent with your insurance company about the information provided.

There are some things you can do to reduce the cost of motorcycle insurance. Keeping your motorcycle safe and in a garage overnight can reduce the risk of theft, while installing security devices such as alarms and GPS trackers can improve the safety of your vehicle and reduce the risk of theft.

In addition, there are other factors that influence the cost of motorcycle insurance, such as your age, driving experience, and the model of your motorcycle. For example, younger riders with less driving experience may have to pay more for motorcycle insurance because they are considered high-risk for accidents.

Finally, when looking for motorcycle insurance, it can be helpful to use an insurance comparison website such as confused.com to find the right coverage for your needs and budget. This way, you can compare different offers and choose the one that best suits your needs and wallet.

There are specific driving courses for motorcyclists that can help reduce the cost of motorcycle insurance in the UK. For example, the Enhanced Rider Scheme (ERS) is an advanced driving training program that has been designed to help motorcyclists improve their driving skills. This course can be helpful for riders of all levels of experience, from beginner to expert, and can be conducted with qualified instructors.

Completion of the ERS course can also reduce the cost of motorcycle insurance, as it demonstrates that you have received advanced training on safe and responsible driving.

Other motorcycle training courses that can be useful in reducing the cost of motorcycle insurance include the RoSPA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) Safe Driving Course and the IAM RoadSmart (Institute of Advanced Motorists) Advanced Driving Course.

How to import an Italian car into the United Kingdom

Macchine in coda in una strada di citta'

If you’re planning to bring your Italian car to the United Kingdom, it’s essential to understand the procedures and requirements you’ll need to navigate. This comprehensive guide will take you through all the stages, from tourist visits to permanent relocations, ensuring you have all the necessary information for a smooth import.

Bringing Your Car for a Visit to the United Kingdom

Requirements for Tourists

When you’re visiting the United Kingdom temporarily and want to use your Italian car, there are specific conditions you need to follow. These include:

  1. Visiting the UK without the intention of permanent residency.
  2. Having your vehicle registered and taxed in Italy (or any other EU country).
  3. Using the vehicle for a maximum of six months, which can be consecutive or divided into multiple visits within a 12-month period.

Additionally, if your vehicle is not registered in an EU country, there are additional conditions to meet:

  • Using the vehicle for private use.
  • Not being a resident in the UK or an EU state.
  • Not selling, lending, or renting the vehicle in the UK or the EU.
  • Ensuring that the vehicle leaves the UK and the EU within six months, unless you have received special authorization to keep it longer.

If you’re stopped by the police for a check, you’ll need to prove that you’re a tourist exempt from taxes. So, make sure to have a document confirming your entry date into the country, such as your ferry ticket.

Required Documents for Tourists

When you bring your car for a visit to the United Kingdom, there are some important documents you should have with you:

  • Italian driving license: Your Italian license is generally valid for driving in the UK. However, it’s always a good idea to have an official translation in English or an international driver’s permit.
  • Identity document: Make sure to have your personal identification document with you.
  • Vehicle registration document: This document confirms vehicle ownership, and you should carry it with you.

Fiat 500 rossa parcheggiata

Temporary Vehicle Insurance

When you bring your car for a visit to the United Kingdom, it’s essential to ensure that your vehicle is covered by valid insurance. Check with your Italian insurance company if your existing coverage extends to the UK and what the details of the coverage are. Make sure to have a “carta verde” or “green card” with you to demonstrate that you have valid insurance covering the UK.

If you are a new driver, be prepared for a hefty insurance cost. On average, drivers under 25 years old might have to face an expense of £1544 per year, which is more than triple the national average of £471 per year (in 2018). You can use online comparison tools to find lower rates.

Uso della Temporary Q Number Plate

Se hai dubbi sull’identità del tuo veicolo, potresti dover richiedere una temporary Q number plate. Questa targa temporanea ti aiuterà a dimostrare la legalità del tuo veicolo nel Regno Unito. Assicurati di seguire le procedure necessarie per ottenere questa targa temporanea se richiesta.

Moving to the United Kingdom with Your Italian Car

Declaring Your Vehicle to HMRC

If you plan to settle in the United Kingdom or stay for more than six months, the process becomes more complex. The first thing to do is declare your vehicle to HMRC within 14 days of its arrival. This declaration is essential to avoid fines and future issues.

Paying VAT and Other Taxes

HMRC may require you to pay VAT and other taxes based on the value of your vehicle. Prices vary significantly, so it’s advisable to contact HMRC’s helpline for a precise idea of what you’ll need to pay.

Getting Vehicle Approval

To ensure that your vehicle complies with UK environmental and safety standards, you’ll need to obtain vehicle approval. The cost of this process is £100.

Vehicle Registration with DVLA

The DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) is responsible for vehicle registration in the UK. You’ll need to register your vehicle with the DVLA and pay the necessary fees, which amount to £55. You will later be assigned a registration number to receive your new British plate.

The vehicle registration procedure with the DVLA can be complex, with various forms to fill out and a waiting time of about six weeks. Ensure you have all the necessary documents, including:

  • Vehicle approval documents
  • V267 form
  • A document proving when you acquired the vehicle (such as an invoice)
  • The original foreign registration certificate to verify the vehicle’s manufacturing date (which will not be returned to you)

The vehicle tax, paid annually, will replace the Italian road tax.

Italian Driving License Conversion

In most cases, there is no need to convert your Italian driving license if you plan to stay in the United Kingdom for an extended period. The Italian driving license is generally accepted for driving in the country, but it’s important to consider its potential conversion into a British driving license after demonstrating residency in the United Kingdom for a certain period.

UK Laws and Regulations

The United Kingdom has specific laws and regulations regarding vehicle imports, including safety requirements and emissions standards. It’s essential to understand these laws and adhere to them carefully.

Safety Requirements

The UK imposes strict vehicle safety requirements. You must ensure that your vehicle meets these standards. In some cases, you may need to make modifications to achieve compliance.

Emissions Standards

The UK has specific emissions limits that vehicles must adhere to. You’ll need to check if your vehicle meets these requirements and, if necessary, make the required modifications.

Required Certifications

To demonstrate that your vehicle complies with British regulations, you’ll need to obtain some key certifications, including the “CE Certificate of Conformity” and the “Certificate of Conformity” (CoC), which confirms that your vehicle was produced according to European standards.

Modifications to the Vehicle for Driving in the United Kingdom

When you bring your Italian vehicle to the United Kingdom, you may need to make some modifications to meet local requirements. Some common modifications include:

  • Changing the Speedometer: In the UK, speed is measured in miles per hour, so you may need to change your vehicle’s speedometer to display this unit of measurement.
  • Headlight Position: Ensure that your vehicle’s headlight position complies with British requirements. This may require some adjustments.

Economic Considerations: Importing or Selling Your Italian Car

One of the most important decisions is whether to import your Italian car to the United Kingdom or sell it and purchase a new one in the country. This choice involves significant financial considerations.

Financial Considerations

When making the decision between importing and selling, you’ll need to carefully evaluate the financial implications. There are several expenses to consider, including:

  • Importation Costs: These can include shipping costs, customs duties, and import taxes.
  • Resale Value of the Car: Assess how much your Italian car is currently worth and how this value might change once in the UK.
  • UK Purchase Costs: If you decide to sell your Italian car and buy a new one, consider the costs of purchasing a vehicle in the UK.

Vehicle Transport to England

Once you’ve made a decision about your car and are ready to bring it to the United Kingdom, it’s important to know the available options for transporting the vehicle. Here are some of the most common options:


One of the most chosen options is to drive your car to England. You can take a ferry from Calais, in northern France, to Dover, United Kingdom. The cost of the journey can vary, so book in advance for a better price. You’ll also need to consider the cost of fuel and tolls.


Another option is the Eurotunnel, which always departs from Calais and takes you to Folkestone, United Kingdom, in just 35 minutes. Prices vary based on the timing of your booking, so book in advance for the best price.


If you are already in the United Kingdom and don’t want to drive your Italian vehicle, you can opt for transportation services. The cost will vary depending on your vehicle and the distance to be covered. You can get a free quote and more information on these services from specialized providers.

Additionally, consider the location where you’ll be moving to, as some cities, like London, impose restrictions on vehicle use and daily charges for access to limited traffic zones. The good public transportation networks in the United Kingdom often make using a vehicle less essential, so carefully weigh your decision based on your personal needs.


This comprehensive guide has provided you with all the necessary information for importing a vehicle into the United Kingdom, from tourist visits to permanent transfers. Now you’re ready to successfully plan the importation of your Italian car and drive on British roads with safety and compliance with local laws. Before embarking on your journey, make sure you’ve fulfilled all the necessary requirements and procedures. Safe travels in the UK!

Using your foreign driving license in the UK

Guidare nel Regno Unito con la patente italiana

Is it possible to drive with your Italian driver’s license in the United Kingdom?

Many Italians, both tourists and long-term residents, often wonder if they can drive in the United Kingdom using their Italian driver’s license.

When it comes to England and the United Kingdom in general, the answer is yes.

The issue of reciprocity and recognition of licenses between different countries is a delicate subject, especially in a post-Brexit era where regulations may have undergone changes.

In this article, we will examine the current regulations and the conditions under which an Italian citizen can use their Italian driver’s license in the United Kingdom, aiming to clarify any doubts and provide up-to-date information.

But let’s take it step by step and begin with a small test to determine if you can drive in the United Kingdom with your Italian driver’s license.

The Use of the Italian Driver’s License in the United Kingdom

The use of an Italian driver’s license in the United Kingdom is a matter of significant importance for those who intend to drive on British soil. The validity of an Italian license in the UK is closely tied to the concept of residency and the regulations governing the use of foreign driving documents.

Residency and Use of the Italian Driver’s License

For Italian citizens residing in the United Kingdom and for visitors, the good news is that it is generally possible to use your Italian driver’s license to drive in the United Kingdom. You can drive with your Italian license until the age of 70.

Unfortunately, Italian licenses have a much shorter validity compared to British licenses (for example, my British license is valid until 2051 when I’ll turn 60). In this case, it’s your choice whether to return to Italy to renew your Italian license or convert it into a British one.

Please note: You automatically become a UK resident if you have been living in the United Kingdom for at least 183 days.

Validity of the Italian Driver’s License in the UK

The Italian driver’s license is considered valid in the United Kingdom, provided that the driver complies with local laws and regulations. It’s crucial to understand that the United Kingdom practices left-hand driving, which might require an adjustment period for drivers coming from countries where right-hand driving is the norm. Additionally, it’s essential to carry an official English translation of the Italian driver’s license or an international driver’s license issued in accordance with international conventions at all times.

Converting the Italian License to a British License

If your Italian driver’s license is nearing its expiration date, you have the option to renew it or convert it to a British driver’s license. Although it’s possible to drive in the United Kingdom with an Italian driver’s license until the age of 70, having a British license comes with its advantages, including:

  • Speedy conversion process: The conversion procedure is relatively fast, taking about 3 weeks.
  • Cost-effectiveness: The conversion cost is generally economical compared to obtaining a new license.
  • Ease of process: You can complete the conversion by submitting the required documents to the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) or by visiting the nearest post office.
  • Insurance savings: Insurers often offer more affordable rates to holders of British licenses.
  • Ease of duplicate issuance: In case of loss or theft, duplicating the license is simplified.

I recommend visiting the official government website, where you’ll need to answer some questions to determine if license conversion is necessary in your specific case.

Exchange a foreign driving licence - TEST

All European citizens have the right to drive in the United Kingdom using their own driver’s license, whether they are just passing through or are residents.

The conversion of an Italian driver’s license to a British license is an option available only to residents in Great Britain, which means those who spend more than 183 consecutive days in the country. It’s important to note that conversion is not mandatory for licenses issued by a European Union member state, as they are automatically valid in England.

However, some specific rules must be followed:

  • If you are a resident in England and have reached the age of 68, you can continue to drive with your Italian category B license for three years before being required to apply for a British license.
  • Starting from the age of 70, the conversion of an Italian license to a British license becomes mandatory.
  • In case you hold a driver’s license for buses or coaches, known as the “Driver Certificate of Professional Competence” (CPC), you will be obligated to convert the Italian license to a British license. This category of license involves specific requirements, which you will find further details about in the section dedicated to special licenses.

Conversion of Italian Category A and B Licenses to UK Licenses

The procedure for converting Category A and B licenses is remarkably straightforward and quick. To get started, you’ll need to fill out the D1 form, known as the driving licence form, available on the official DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) website. Make sure to submit your Italian license along with a valid (original) form of identification during the application. Additionally, you’ll need to make a payment of £43 to cover the processing costs.

A significant advantage of this conversion process is its speed. After submitting the complete application, you can expect to receive your new UK license in just three weeks. This application can be completed online through the DVLA website or in person at a post office. It’s important to note that your original Italian license will not be returned.

These pieces of information and instructions apply to Category A and B license holders wishing to convert them to UK licenses.



Conversion of Special Licenses in the United Kingdom

The conversion of special licenses, required for driving vehicles such as buses, involves a specific process. To initiate this procedure, you will need to complete forms D2 and D4 and undergo medical examinations. It is important to note that converting a special license is mandatory to operate such vehicles in the United Kingdom. Additionally, to work as a bus or truck driver in England, you will need to obtain the CPC (Driver Certificate of Professional Competence), which can be obtained after passing four exams.

Once you have converted your Italian special license into a UK license, you will need to renew it every five years until you reach the age of 65. Subsequently, from the age of 66, annual renewal will be required.

Regarding conversion requirements based on age:

  • If you are under 45 years old: You can drive in the United Kingdom with your Italian special license until the age of 45. Once you turn 45, you will need to proceed with the conversion. The conversion fee in 2020 is £43. You will need to complete form D2 and inform the DVLA within 12 months from the date you became a resident.
  • If your age is between 45 and 66 years: You can continue driving in the United Kingdom with your Italian special license until the age of 66. Upon reaching 66, you will need to initiate the conversion process. The conversion fee in 2020 is £43. You will need to complete both form D2 and form D4 for the medical examination and inform the DVLA within 12 months from the date you became a resident.
  • If you are over 66 years old: It will be mandatory to convert your Italian special license into a UK license. The conversion fee in 2020 is £43, and you will need to complete both form D2 and form D4 for the medical examination.

All of this information applies to Great Britain, which includes England, Scotland, and Wales. In the case of Northern Ireland, you will need to contact the DVLNI (Driver Vehicle Licensing Northern Ireland).

Please note that if you obtained your license in one of the countries not included in the specific list (referred to as “others”), you will not be able to convert it into a UK license. In this case, you can drive in the United Kingdom with your license for a maximum of 12 months. Once these 12 months have expired, you will need to apply for a new license.

Although the conversion of special licenses is not mandatory for categories A and B, it may be advantageous to consider, as insurance companies often offer more affordable rates for UK license holders.

Obtaining the First Driving License in the United Kingdom

If you have reached the age of 16 and aspire to begin your journey in driving in the United Kingdom, the first step is to apply for the so-called foglio rosa. However, keep in mind that the exciting adventure in full driving begins at the age of 18.

Here’s how you can obtain your first driving license in the United Kingdom:

1. Apply for the Pink License (Provisional Driving Licence)

Start by applying for the pink license, also known as the “Provisional Driving Licence,” through the official website of the British government or via a D1 form available at local post offices. You will need to provide the required documents, including your passport, a recent photograph, and a payment of £34 via credit card or check.

2. Complete the D1 Form

Carefully complete the D1 form with all the required information, ensuring you follow the provided instructions.

3. Submit the Application

After completing the D1 form, send the application along with the required documents to the address indicated on the form. Make sure to keep a copy of the form and your payment information as proof.

4. Wait for Confirmation

After submitting the application, you will need to wait for a few days to receive confirmation of your request and your pink license. This document will allow you to start driving lessons.

5. Begin Driving Lessons

Once you have the pink license, you are ready to start driving lessons with an authorized instructor. This learning period will prepare you for the practical driving test.

6. Practical Exam

After gaining sufficient driving experience and when you turn 18, you can book your practical driving test. Prepare adequately for this test, as passing it is essential to obtain your full driving license in the United Kingdom.

7. Full Driving License

If you successfully pass your practical exam, you will receive your full driving license and will be legally authorized to drive independently in the United Kingdom.

Make sure to comply with all local requirements and laws during the process of obtaining your driving license in the United Kingdom.

Road Regulations and Road Safety in the United Kingdom

When driving in the United Kingdom, it’s important to have a clear understanding of road regulations. These rules provide crucial guidelines for safe and responsible driving. In this section, we will explore some of the key road regulations in the UK, including navigating roundabouts, rules for roads and motorways, speed limits, and the practice of driving on the left.

Here’s a more detailed overview:


Clockwise Circulation with Right of Way Roundabouts are a common feature of UK roads. However, for foreign drivers, they can pose a challenge. The basic principle is that traffic flows clockwise in roundabouts. This means that anyone in a roundabout must give way to vehicles approaching from their right. For example, if you want to exit a roundabout, it’s essential to yield to vehicles on your right. This practice may differ from what’s in place in your home country, so pay particular attention.

Rules for Roads and Motorways

British roads and motorways are subject to specific rules, including speed limits and signage. Knowing these rules is crucial for ensuring road safety. For instance, on British motorways, the standard speed limit is 70 miles per hour (approximately 113 kilometers per hour), but it’s important to be aware that variations may apply depending on the area and road conditions. Respecting speed limits is essential to avoid penalties and, most importantly, to ensure the safety of yourself and other road users.

Speed Limits

In the UK, there are different speed limits to adhere to

  • In urban areas, the speed limit is typically 30 miles per hour (about 48 kilometers per hour). This is the maximum limit to ensure safety in built-up areas.
  • On non-urban roads, the limit varies between 40 and 60 miles per hour (about 64-97 kilometers per hour), depending on road conditions.
  • On motorways, the standard limit is 70 miles per hour. Complying with these speed limits is essential not only to avoid penalties but also to ensure road safety.

Driving on the Left

In the United Kingdom, driving is on the left, which can be a challenge for drivers from countries where driving is on the right. Pay particular attention during overtaking and at intersections to avoid dangerous situations. Staying on the left is crucial for both your safety and that of other road users.

Loss or Theft of the Italian Driver’s License in the United Kingdom: What to Do

When you lose your Italian driver’s license in the United Kingdom, it’s important to know what steps to take promptly. First and foremost, you should report the theft or loss to the British authorities. To do this, contact the local police and inform them of what has happened.

Next, you will need to request a new Italian driver’s license. You can do this through the Italian consulate in the United Kingdom, which will assist you in the process of obtaining a duplicate of your license. Reaching the consulate is a crucial step to initiate the procedure. Make sure you have all the necessary documents, including a declaration of loss or theft issued by the British police, which will be required during the process. For further details on how to deal with the loss or theft of important documents, take a look at our dedicated article.

Handling Fines in the United Kingdom: How to Deal with Them Effectively

In the United Kingdom, fines can be issued to drivers at any time while on the road. It is essential to understand the process of handling fines and how to pay them within the specified deadlines to avoid further complications. Here’s what to do when you need to address a fine:

  • Receive the Fine Notice: When you receive a fine, it will be notified to you or the vehicle’s owner. The notice usually contains detailed information about the violation, the fine amount, and the payment deadline.
  • Fine Payment: It is crucial to pay the fine within the specified deadlines. Typically, you have a specific period to make the payment. You can do this online, by phone, or using a payment slip provided with the notice.
  • Challenging the Fine: If you believe you have received a fine unfairly or in error, you have the right to contest it. In this case, you will need to follow the challenge process, providing evidence and documentation to support your request.
  • Personalized Assistance for Challenging Fines: If you believe the fine was issued incorrectly or unfairly and you need assistance in contesting it, our team is here to help. We are available to provide you with personalized advice and assistance in seeking fine cancellation, if applicable. Contact us today and let us know how we can assist you in resolving this situation.


Contact Us

Driving in the United Kingdom Requires Adequate Insurance Coverage

Here’s what you should know:

1. Insurance Requirement: In the UK, it is mandatory to have insurance to cover your vehicle. Even if you plan to drive for a short period, you will still need insurance. If you are renting a car, basic insurance is often included in the rental.

2. Types of Insurance: There are three main types of car insurance in the UK:

  • Third Party: This is the basic level that covers damage to third-party vehicles but not your own.
  • Third Party, Fire and Theft: Similar to the first, but it adds protection against theft and fire.
  • Comprehensive: This is the most comprehensive level of coverage and includes damage to both vehicles involved in the accident. Although it is more expensive, it is often the recommended choice.

3. Insurance Coverage from Your Agency: If you bring your car from Italy to the UK, make sure you have valid insurance coverage. Your insurance agency should provide you with a certificate translated into English confirming your level of protection.

4. Switching from Italian to UK Insurance: If you want to switch from Italian insurance to UK insurance, an official document from your Italian insurance company attesting to your level of protection may be required. Having a proven history of accident-free driving in recent years can positively impact insurance costs.

5. No Claims Bonus: When registering for new insurance, you will have the option to select how many years you have been accident-free (No Claims Bonus). This can affect insurance premiums.

6. License Conversion: If you convert your Italian license to a UK license (remembering that you must have been a UK resident for at least 6 months to do so), you may benefit from more affordable insurance prices. Insurance companies tend to offer favorable rates to UK license holders.

Maintaining adequate insurance coverage is essential for legally and safely driving in the UK. Make sure you have the right insurance before getting behind the wheel.


Calculate Now

Renting a Car in the UK

Renting a car in the United Kingdom is often a convenient and flexible choice for drivers. However, it’s important to consider some essential factors before proceeding with the rental.

  • Required Documents: When renting a car in the UK, you need to provide certain documents. These include your valid driving license and your passport as proof of identity. In some cases, you may also be required to show a valid credit card in your name to cover any additional charges or security deposits.
  • Minimum Age: Most car rental companies in the UK require the driver to be at least 21 years old, although the minimum age may vary from one company to another. Younger drivers might face additional costs or restrictions on the car they intend to rent.
  • Rental Terms: Before signing a rental agreement, it’s crucial to carefully read the terms and conditions. This includes fuel policies (e.g., whether you need to return the car with the same fuel level as when you picked it up), mileage restrictions, and extra fees for late car returns.
  • Insurance: Rental companies often provide basic insurance included in the rental cost. However, it’s advisable to consider the option of additional insurance for more coverage in case of accidents or damage to the car.
  • Driving on the Left: If you’re not accustomed to driving on the left, keep in mind that driving in the UK is on the left side of the road. This might require an adjustment period for drivers coming from countries where driving is on the right.
  • Reservations: Making an advance reservation for your rental car can often secure you better rates and greater vehicle availability. Additionally, comparing different rental companies and reading reviews can help you find the best deal for your needs.

Importing a Vehicle from Italy

If you’re considering importing a vehicle from Italy to the United Kingdom, it’s essential to fully understand the process and requirements involved. For a detailed guide on how to successfully import a vehicle, including the necessary documents, taxes, and key steps to follow, we invite you to read our dedicated article on importing vehicles from Italy. This article provides in-depth information and helpful tips to assist you in successfully navigating the importation process.

If you have any questions related to the Italian driving license or simply want to provide some feedback, please write in the comments section below.


Yes, you can drive with your Italian license even if you are a visitor for a limited period in the UK.

You can drive with your Italian license in the UK until the age of 70.

You can choose to renew your Italian license in Italy or convert it into a UK license.

Conversion is quick, cost-effective, and offers savings on insurance.

You need to fill out the D1 form, submit your Italian license and a valid identification document, and make the payment.

Conversion is mandatory, and there are specific rules to follow.

You can do so until you’re 45, after which you’ll need to convert it.

It’s important to have valid insurance coverage, and converting your license can lower costs.

You must have a valid Italian license and, if necessary, a translation certificate.

In the case of Northern Ireland, you will need to contact the DVLNI (Driver Vehicle Licensing Northern Ireland) for information on license conversion.